CHAIRMAN: DR. KHALID BIN THANI AL THANI
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: DR. KHALID MUBARAK AL-SHAFI

World / Asia

Death toll rises to 10 as typhoon Goni batters north Philippines

Published: 23 Aug 2015 - 12:00 am | Last Updated: 09 Nov 2021 - 05:35 pm
Peninsula

Manila: Ten people were killed while thousands fled to higher ground as powerful typhoon Goni brought torrential rains to the northern Philippines, triggering landslides and floods, officials said yesterday.

Nine people died in Mountain Province and Benguet in the northern highlands after their houses were buried in rocks and mud. A man was killed in nearby Ilocos Norte province after he was hit by a falling tree, the national disaster council said in a report.

Three people were reported missing in flooded areas while seven others were injured. Close to 13,000 people had been evacuated by nightfall, the report said.

Typhoon Goni was 130 kilometres northeast of the Batanes island chain on Saturday evening, with winds of up to 185kph (115mph), according to the state weather bureau. n the northern province of Abra, two straight days of heavy rains caused a major river to overflow, governor Eustaquio Bersamin said.

Typhoon Goni was 165 kilometres northeast of the northern province of Cagayan yesterday morning, with winds of up to 195kph, according to the state weather bureau. In the northern province of Abra, two straight days of heavy rains caused a major river to overflow, governor Eustaquio Bersamin said. Thirteen domestic flights were cancelled yesterday, the disaster council said.

The storm is the ninth out of an average of 20 that hit the Philippines each year and is now heading to Taiwan, the weather bureau said. Taiwan has evacuated people from outlying islands and troops are on standby for disaster relief as it takes precautions against heavy rains expected this weekend.

AFP